Friday, April 17, 2009

Copy of My Support Letter!!

Greetings friends, family, church-members, colleagues, and co-workers,

I have some very exciting news for you! Over the last 5 months I’ve been prayerfully considering the opportunity to serve a summer term with a non-denominational evangelical Christian organization called Teach Overseas. With my destination confirmed and my position appointed, I'm excited about the opportunity God is giving me to share the love of Jesus and the truth of His Gospel in Budapest, Hungary this summer. I'm writing to tell you more about it and how you can be involved if you so choose!

You may be thinking, “why Hungary?” as you’re reading this right now. In a people prone to depression, where 55% profess to be Catholic, 20% Protestant, 14% Atheist, and 11% claiming “Other,” I have the incredible opportunity to work within refugee camps to give them the Truth and Hope of a Risen Savior! After spending the summer of 2006 in Peru, the words of Romans 10:1, 14, 15, were carved on my heart as a call to the nations—red, yellow black and white--“Brothers, it is my heart’s desire and prayer that they may be saved…But how then can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who bring Good News!’”

I will be leaving my home in Tuscaloosa, AL on June 20th or 21st and flying to Pasadena, California. I will spend six days at a college there in training with Teach Overseas to prepare for being an English-instructor at one of three refugee camps right outside the city of Budapest. During the camp we will teach English to men, women, and children from one of twelve different nations. Through academic teaching, bible studies, conversation, and friendship evangelism, we hope to see these displaced peoples come to know our Lord and Savior as their very own! I will spend approximately five weeks in Budapest teaching, loving, and living at the threshold of the nations. I am scheduled to return home between August 6-8th through Atlanta, Georgia.

First and foremost, let me say that many of you have already unknowingly contributed to my going. Through encouragement and prayer, you have impacted my life over the last few weeks, months and years in ways that I can never measure or recount to you! I am going to need your continued prayers as I continue on this journey -- to prepare, raise support, depart, serve, and return. My prayer is that I will be serving every step of the way. We must acknowledge that prayer is the heart of a successful ministry as we know that James tell us in “that the prayer of a righteous believer is powerful and effective (5:16).” By success, I do not mean numbers “saved,” teenagers in attendance, testimonies shared, questions asked, etc. By success, I do mean me becoming more like Christ every day so that in every encounter, every step He is exalted. It is my aim to represent Him in the holiest of ways, to be an ambassador of His Gospel of Love. My team needs your prayers as well; we need prayer for preparation, communication, unity, patience, rest, safety, health, humility, and encouragement. I also covet your prayers in my own spiritual walk; that I will be humble, Christ-seeking, walking by the Spirit, living in the Word, slow to anger, quick to show compassion, patient, and forgiving. Pray that I will rest in knowing that I am safest in the midst of His will; pray for His arms of safety around me. Pray that I will not be dependent on my own talents and abilities but completely dependent on Christ for my Strength as Psalm 84:5-7 says “Blessed are those whose strength is in You….they go from strength to strength.”

My home church, Five Points Baptist, has already made the first contribution to my support raising; the remaining balance for my trip is $5600. I am trusting God to supply for His work that He has called me to this summer; this amount of money will cover my transportation, training, my living expenses for the trip, and the bills that must be paid in my absence from my job and home in the states. Will you please prayerfully consider making a tax-deductible donation of $50, $100, $250, or $500 dollars? Any amount is welcomed and checks are made payable and addressed to Five Points Baptist Church as they are graciously handling my account for raising support. I realize that you may not be able to help financially, but prayer is just as important. If you are willing to pray for my ministry this summer, please send notification via the email or mailing addresses below so I can add you to the update list! My deadline for support raising is June 1, 2009. If you decide that you would like to make a contribution at a later date, please feel free to contact Five Points Baptist Church (205-339-3220) about the status of my account for support raising before you send in a check. If you know of anyone in your circle of friends who might be interested in supporting me in prayer or finances, please feel free to duplicate this letter or have them contact me via email. Also, if you have any support raising methods of your own- collecting change, sharing with your Sunday school group, holding a fundraising event -- all support is welcome! We are hosting a 5K/1Mile Run at Five Points Baptist Church on May 16, 2009. If you’re a local, we’d love for you to participate! Also, I will be selling Boston Butts so please let me know if you’d be interested in purchasing one.

If you’re still reading, I’d like to say thanks for being truly interested in the global cause of Christ!!! I am so excited to be partnering with people like you and thrilled that I get to be a part of His message to the nations, from the good ol’ USA to the streets of Hungary--- may He be glorified and exalted! Thank you for considering my needs for prayer and financial support. To Him be all the glory -- “that I may know Him, and make Him fully known!”

In His most amazing grace,

Jessica-Lauren Roberts



Five Points Baptist Church

(205)339-3220

3718 36th Street, Northport, AL 35473

http://www.fivepointsbaptist.com

Teach Overseas: http://www.teachoverseas.org


No comments:

Post a Comment