At 8:30 am this morning, a social worker (sw) came into our room...We call her EB because her Hungarian name is too difficult for us. She was a bit Interrogating but with a smile?! The “assistante” is needing names, arrival dates, arrival date to camp, DOB, home addresses, and mothers’ names for Elizabeth and I. Something about “your hospitalization.” Right before lunch, then they sent stool sample boxes down with our names on them. We were quite perplexed…what good would this do now…we’ve been back at camp for a week and half!!! They followed us down the hall as they were looking for us on our way to the classroom after lunch. They demanded that I sit down and answer questions. They weren’t really quizzing Elizabeth anymore, and for that I was thankful. I guess this is because she only went to hosp here and didn’t leave for Budapest with me. So they wanted my medications, treatment notes etc from my dr in budapest. I told them I wasn’t giving them any more samples of my innards or blood or whatever. That has already been done and analyzed and treated. They wanted to know the doctor’s diagnosis and I told them Campylobacter.
I thought they would be satisfied…and then they came bombarding into our classroom while we were teaching the afternoon class again! They wanted us to go with them right away to talk to the nurses in the clinic down across the courtyard. I said I would go but that we WERE in the middle of teaching and that Liz could stay behind and I would go with them. So with three Hungarian nurses/assistants and another very shy and polite social worker who knows a little English (Joette)-- he is our favorite, they begin interrogating me again. First, I am told that they have contacted the clinic that saw me in Budapest. They show me a fax from the clinic and the doctor’s name. They they proceed to tell me that I am a “dangerous person” and that I should not be working with the children. “If you do not prove that you are “100%” clear of this disease you will not be allowed to work with children and be in this camp. This dangerous bacteria can infect everyone and you are dangerous to work here.” They brought up Liz again and said they wanted us both to prove we were not sick by tomorrow.
We have already been informed that refugees around us have things such as TB, AIDS, hep C, etc. And they're apparently afraid that I'm gonna use the bathroom, not wash my hands, and make someone sick. Which is good...but then again....i got this stinkin' bacteria from THIS country!!!! My team and I are by far the cleanest and most sanitary people in the whole camp!!!! This might sound silly to you, but i got all teary eyed walking back to the classroom. I got sick in this country from sort of contaminated water or food and due to our less than expected living conditions on the Friday of our arrival, a bacteria that would normally be in and out of my system in 48 hours, resided in me and reaked havoc on my body as I became dehydrated and malnourished and overheated and hypoglycemic and fell out and could not recover. Yes, this bacteria CAN be very dangerous…but they are VERY foolish to think that there is not a thousand other kinds of bacteria RAMPANT here in this camp.
So I ask for maybe one of the strangest prayer requests ever….I ask that you pray for 100% proof that Elizabeth and I are no longer “infected.” I know that this is nothing more than the enemy trying to STOP us. We just learned today that there is a man and woman here who came from Iran. Why do they seek asyum?? Because they are brand new Christians!!!! The woman’s name is “Sah-rah,” like Sarah with an accent! if they make me quit teaching and send me out of camp, I will go and wait for my team in Budapest I suppose. And I will spend every hour of the day praying because I know that a Mighty work must be at hand if Satan is so intent on stopping us. Even the Muslim women are coming out tonight, so we are using internet earlier in the day to update our prayer warriors back home and go back into camp to hangout with them in the courtyard tonight!
Last but not least, I must tell you about my other favorite part of yesterday/today. YESTERDAY I got two things in the mail—a card and a package with another card from my sweet momma. She sent three more tubes of glucose tabs incase I have anymore low blood sugar spells! Above and beyond the need there mom ha! AND two lovely encouraging cards from her and dad! What a day maker right
THEN today, they came telling me there was a VERY BIG package for me! I was not envisioning anything really big..I figured big envelope! But when I walked in the room it was a huge box!!! From my sweet kindred spirit Britt!!!! She spent a RIDICULOUS amount of money sending me a care package (I know because of the airmail sticker on the box!)--- my team and I immediately acknowledged that she went into “nurse” mode when I was hospitalized! She sent me:
- a mosquito net--- inscribed with the words “to keep cockroaches
off at night!” God bless her!!! Oh we laughed so hard!!
- a neon flashing light battery operated fan—I love it! It’s like a
disco ball! With extra AAA’s!
- A box of my favorite instant oatmeal
- Bear creek dry soup mix – tortilla recipe!
- Luna bars—peanut butter cookie kind!
- A spoon/fork/knife—camping spork!! I can now eat on the run anywhere:0
- Crystal light packets for the nasty water
- Mott’s all natural no sugar added applesauce for no fruit days!
How well does she know me?!
- And last but not least my favorite peanutbutter made right in
Birmingham, AL— Naturally More!!! Peanut butter is a hot commodity
here..it's available in some of the big cities but the generic
brand can cost as much as $4 for a small jar!
Ah, she is my kindred spirit!!! This is NOT by the way to encourage any of you to send packages or make you feel that it is necessary…but my team and I were elated…sharing with them even we will have plenty of trustworthy tasty snacks/breakfasts to get us by until we depart!
******If you were wanting/thinking/going to send a letter/pkg/etc….I would not suggest doing so now:) It takes too long to get to us and I’d be afraid of not receiving it at this point!
I cannot convey in words how He continues to give us joy in the small things, the big things, the seemingly odd things. Please be praying for our proof of wellness, for the iranian christian couple, and for the Lost around us who need His love more than they even know!!!
In His most amazing Grace,
JLR
first photo: me sleeping in my mosquito net from Britt!!!
second photo: me holding my super cool psychedelic fan and my big huge box of Love from her!!!

Hey Jessica!! I'm glad that things are going better for you now! I have been praying for you and will continue to pray that you will be proven to be not infected.
ReplyDeleteWe love y'all and know that the Lord is using you to accomplish His plans!
-Justin Ray